Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Moving Stories

I love stories. They make me happy. They move me. Sometimes I read stories that make me feel so philosophically satisfied that I feel like sharing some of the thoughts I had on it.

There are several stories that were great when I first read them, but had no philosophical value, or the philosophy they were pushing was not relevant to me, or really anyone that the story was marketed to. Look at The Hunger Games. They're interesting stories and fun to read and have a philosophy behind them but really in the end no one is going to do anything about it, or really even take anything from it. There are other books, however, that do.

I wish to call your attention to a series of books that is relevant to everyone that reads them: The Chronicles of Narnia. I call your attention to these because I am sure that you, my reader, have probably read them. Each book has some very philosophical conversations in it that keep the reader thinking long after the book is over. I think of The Last Battle in particular. In it the end of the world takes place with the invasion of Narnia by the Calormens. With all of the destruction and the death that takes place as a result of it, many think it to be a depressing book. I prefer to read the last few chapters of it. In them it describes how a well meaning person doing good deeds in the name of someone evil, can take it back and offer them to God, and he will accept them as deeds done in his name.

I think of other books like The Giver, that offer some very interesting insights to the problem of perfection, and the lack of interest that ensues with it. Perfection is absolute. There is only one perfect for human beings because we all have the same nature. When we are given new bodies, we will be able to be perfect, but also have our own thoughts and desires, unlike in The Giver, which paints what I think is an accurate depiction of what it would take for the world to be balanced and perfect while still being in our current state of imperfection from sin.

I think that one story should cover one topic of thought. The last battle covers the end game of Satan and the even bigger end game of God. The Giver covers the cost of perfection. The Fault in our stars covers the reality of mortality. The Horse and His Boy covers the truth about any misfortune.

All of these stories are moving because they are not just a story. They are a collection of thoughts, ideas, and philosophies of the author. The books that make people think are the ones that people remember because they exercise the memory of them by making themselves the origin of the thoughts.

I myself love writing because of this very thing. It gives me an opportunity to write down my philosophies effectively, without stating them outright. It acts like a very useful buffer. I will always be outright with beliefs concerning faith, but most are not willing to listen to the outright views of a person of faith, but are willing to hear the conversation between their favorite character and his friend concerning what they believe to be true. These are always my favorite parts of the story when writing them, as well as reading them later. Even more I love reading what others have written in the conversations of their characters.

I believe that Frank Peretti says in his bio on the dust cover of his books that he writes stories that make people think long after the last page has been read. This is what I aspire to do. If you have a moving story that you suggest that I read, please email me. I would like to be moved by it*.



*There are some qualifications. Bad language must be limited. If any vulgar words are used by the lead character I will stop reading the book (unless already halfway through and he/she has been good so far). The same is true of thematic elements. Thank you for your suggestions.





No comments:

Post a Comment